Wednesday, February 27, 2008

4 a.m. ER trip

Well, here I am again! It's 6 a.m. and we just got home from the ER. Chloe woke up at 3:something this morning, and I heard her on the monitor, struggling to breathe. When I went to check on her, she sounded like her chest was full of fluid, and she was crying and starting to panic. Chad and I rushed her to the Waverly hospital where she had a chest x-ray, a steroid dose, and a nebulizer treatment. The ER staff was awesome, and we had a really great doctor who knew just how to talk to a 3-year old. He said she had croup, and the x-ray showed some slight atypical pneumonia. Her right ear looked a little infected, and her left eye also had some redness and the green yuck, but not enough for him to call it pink eye. The antibiotic he prescribed for her chest and ear should also cover her eye, so we don't have to give it much more thought.

A good friend of mine was also there with her little girl, and she stopped at our room before they went upstairs to be admitted for croup. She'd heard Chloe crying and recognized our voices from a few rooms down. While the circumstances weren't ideal, it was still great to see her and have a laugh about meeting in the ER of all places!

We'll have to go see Chloe's pediatrician this afternoon for a follow-up, and I'll have to cancel her dentist appointment this morning. Hopefully she'll sleep...right now she's all hyped up on steroids and is laying in my bed watching a movie while I type. Now she wants a snack...do I give in and have her awake even longer, or do I stand firm and insist she goes to sleep?...I'm too tired to work that hard, so it's a snack for my little sickie!

2 comments:

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

Wow, how scary! Glad she is doing better!
Hope yall get some sleep!

Stacey said...

Definitely give in!! But what can I say, I do that anyway!
Hope everything goes well and she feels lots better soon!